Q: Shut down while driving

asked by on May 25, 2017

Shut down while driving alternator replaced in 2014 for recall, original battery no signs of dying, nothing getting power, used jumper for few seconds brake lights worked and rpm gauge moved

Loss of power Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. It certainly sounds like the vehicle is losing electrical power, which is an almost definite sign that the alternator has failed. It is solely responsible for providing electrical power to the vehicle while driving. If the battery has failed, which can happen prematurely with alternator problems, it may be causing a short in the charging system not allowing the alternator to due its job. Due to the fact both of these components may be responsible, you will want to have them both tested. You can do this with a technician, or at most automotive parts stores. For more help with testing or repairs, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr