Q: Will the Ford L8 Duratec engine fit in a MX5 Mk3?

I need to replace the engine of my MX5 MK3 and I have been told that the Ford Duratec engines with the chain drive camshafts will fit. What I am mainly concerned about is whether the the gearbox bell housing bolt location holes are in the same place. The reason I ask is that used Ford Duratec engines are a lot cheaper than used MX5 engines.

Thank you,

William Young

Hi there. The Ford engine will not bolt up to your Mazda transmission, however, you can purchase a conversion plate that would allow the engine to bolt up to the transmission. If you do this, you will need to get a stepper plate for the flex plate that brings it closer to the transmission, change all of the engine mounts to a custom fit, and have to adjust the exhaust plumbing to adapt to a 1/2 inch change. I recommend finding a MX5 MK3 engine and replace it with yours. This will save you the trouble of customizing parts. If you need further assistance with your engine swap, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Will the Ford L8 Duratec engine fit in a MX5 Mk3?