Q: Why does my new battery keep dying?

Older car that still runs well,but only gets driven every other weekend. So I don't understand why five months after buying new battery it is completely dead. Took battery to parts store for recharge and said battery wouldn't hold charge. Some electrical doesn't work or has been deleted. Radio was stolen have not replaced yet. Alarm will go off maybe one or two times every few days if someone's engine is too loud. But if battery is new and car doesn't move for two weeks how can battery be dead?

Hi there:

Some of the top reasons why your battery won’t hold a charge are listed in your question. If the radio was stolen, and not repaired or replaced, it’s possible that you’ve got a slow electrical current being drained from those wires that are not completing the circuit. Also, if your alarm or other accessories are active without starting the vehicle to engage the alternator, this can also draw cranking amps from the battery. It’s always a good idea to start your vehicle for a few minutes once per week at least if it’s not in use frequently; to avoid this type of issue. The problem may also be caused by a malfunctioning alternator that needs to be replaced.

3. Why does my new battery keep dying?