Q: Why does my car keep jerking and trying to shut off

Why does my car keep jerking and trying to go when coming to a stop light or while parked and it shuts off sometimes

This problem of erratic idle speed is often referred to as "surging" or "hunting". The causes include a faulty idle air control valve or circuit (IAC), a faulty ECM (not common), faults in the fuel pump control circuit, defective spark plug(s) or ignition system components, faulty fuel injector(s) or injector circuit faults, and PCV system faults. Often, the application of a real time automotive scanner can find the fault as actual engine operating parameters can be viewed during the "surging". I would recommend that you request a rough operation/rough idle diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will perform the required diagnostic steps to get this resolved. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Why does my car keep jerking and trying to shut off