Rear brake job brake system 2009 hyundai brake pads rotor...

Q: Rear brake job

asked by on April 20, 2017

I got an oil change and was told that my rear brakes were getting low and needed to be replaced soon. The quote had: 827 Brake Shoes &/or Pads R&R Rear, Both. New Rear DISC Brake Pad And Rotor Kit. Brake Fluid Exchange. Do Hyundai rear brakes have Brake Shoes and DISC Brake Pads and Rotors? If so, does everything need to be replaced? Does the Brake fluid need to be changed in a 2009 with only 61,000 miles?

Hello, thank you for writing in. These situations are understandably questionable. The service providers at a lot of common oil changing and tire repair centers will quote you for a variety of things that can be updated. This does not always mean you are in dire need for more repairs. If braking seems to be harder, spongy, or takes longer, then you have reason to be concerned. Otherwise, you should check the amount of brake pad material left on the calipers. This can be visually inspected without too much trouble. Remove the wheel and physically measure the amount left, compare them to your vehicle specifications. It is a little early to worry about brake fluid or the rotors. However if the brake fluid is low, the rotors are warped from a hard stop, or there are obvious issues you should look into the system further. Only further inspection will confirm or deny the recommendations. For a second inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.