Q: My husbands gas guage has been messing up?

asked by on May 19, 2017

My husbands gas guage has been messing up? right after he fills up it will still show that its not full when we know it is, and earlier today he was going somewhere, he knew he had over half of a tank of gas but not even 5 minutes later the guage was showing that he had 25 miles till empty, what could be causing this issue?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The fuel pump is part of a unit called the fuel module. The module also houses a float that raises and lowers with the level of the fuel. That movement is then translated into an electrical signal and sent to the computer and the gauge. Considering the age and mileage on the vehicle, there is a high possibility that the fuel level sensor has failed. However, you cannot replace just the float, and you will have to replace the entire fuel module. You can also have some electrical testing done in order to determine if the signal coming from the fuel module is giving a bad reading. For more help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.