Q: Gear shift loose, car cannot start. 1995 BMW 318i

I drove the car and it has no issues whatsoever. However, when I attempted to start the car the following time, there was no sound upon turning the key. This happened out of the blue. I had the battery checked and it has power. The starter works well too. What I've noticed is that the gear shift has become loose. For the gear shift to move, I usually needed to apply the clutch but now it moves around. Are these issues connected in any way? What do you suggest I should do?

Hello. It doesn’t sound like the problem with the shifter moving around and the car not starting are related. The part of the system that deals with starting the car is the clutch and clutch pedal switch. There is a possibility that the clutch pedal switch is faulty, which would prevent the car from starting. It is also possible that there is a burned out fuse relay to the starter. To have all of this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come to your location to inspect the shifting issue and starting problem for you.