Car engine making sound

My car is making a clicking sound. The car only makes the sound when it is in drive or reverse, when it is in neutral or park the car is quiet. It sounds like it is coming from the engine. At first I thought it was the exhaust, but I had the exhaust checked and they said it was fine. However, they only listened to it while it was in park, not in gear.

It’s impossible to say what your engine noise is without hearing it. It could be any number of components each makes it’s own trademark sound. But since you say it only makes a sound in gear, I’m going to make a leap and say you may have a problem in the transmission flex plate. That is a big thin steel plate that links the engine crankshaft to the transmission. Sometimes they make a noise only when they are under stress. But don’t run out shopping for parts yet, somebody with a real knowledge of your type car needs to hear this sound and make the call. If you contact Your Mechanic about this, they can send a technician to your home to diagnose your car and tell you what can be done about it.