Q: Why would I have a P0014 code in my 2008 Nissan 350Z

I have 2008 nissan 350z and recently my check engine light came on i went to autozone to read the code and the device read code P0014 - exhaust camshaft position timing-over advanced (bank 1) and one of the workers showed me the computer and it diagnosed the problem as being one of the vvt solenoids but it wasnt showing which one. Ive also done some research on my particular make and model and other people have obtained this code as well but instead of replacing the vvt solenoids they replaced both of the timing covers and their problem was solved so im a little confused on what to get repaired i dont want to get the vvt solenoids fixed and then find out i waisted money when all i needed to do was replace the timing covers. So really my question is if i schedule an appointment to repair my vvt solenoids would my mechanic be able to check and locate the exact problem before starting any major repairs ? cause im really trying to save money.

Hello. When you get this code it is because the computer is seeing that the valve timing is off. Most of the time this is a timing solenoid issue. It can also be caused by low engine oil, a sensor issue, a cam actuator, or any number of other things. It does take quite a bit of diagnostics that any certified mechanic should be able to do. If you want to have this done, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why you are getting this code] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/check-engine-light-is-on-inspection