Q: Whining after new installation of power steering pump

asked by on August 20, 2016

I just replaced my power steering pump and now there is a whining noise when it is just idling and when i accelerate. Or when i cranked the wheels all the way to lock position and hold it. I checked fluids and hoses no leaks everything good condition. But now i have the whining

You either have excessive air in the fluid of the system that will gradually work its way out over a few days to a week, or the pump is defective. Try not to hold the steering in a locked position all the way to the left or right or you may get more air in the system. Just start the engine and turn the wheel left and right a quarter turn about 4 times, and then center the wheel and shut off the engine. Look in the power steering reservoir and you will likely see the fluid has small air bubbles in it. This is cause of the noise. Let vehicle sit for 20 to 30 minutes and repeat process about 3 or 4 times to work out all the air. You should notice the noise gradually go away. If the problem persists, consult a local expert to inspect the system and diagnose the noise so that this is resolved properly.