Q: While my mom was driving to work, my car shut off on the freeway.

I was told I needed a new starter. When the man from AAA had to tap my starter for my car to start, but I was also told it has to be something else wring with it, the fact that I stopped while she was driving. I had problems with the motor mounts before, because I got in an accident. What could be wrong with it?

A: A starter will not stall the car while driv...

A starter will not stall the car while driving. It may still need to be replaced or the battery could have just been weak from repeated attempts to start.

In my experience with this engine, it is likely a crankshaft position sensor or camshaft position sensor that is breaking down under heat. A code scan of the computer should be performed which may help in diagnosis. There are several sensors and actuators to control your engine which can cause it to stall while driving which requires a diagnostic. If you want to have this checked, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling issue and make the correct repair.