Q: When shifting, loud bang-type noise

After starting my car and I change gears from Park to Drive or into Reverse, there is a loud sound like a bang, thud, gun-shot type of noise. Sometimes I shift and nothing happens at all, so this is a random problem and not all the time. I found someone else with a similar problem and he said his issue was the motor mount. Could you please give my your professional experience and advice on what is causing this problem?

A: Hi there. A faulty motor mount could cause ...

Hi there. A faulty motor mount could cause this type of noise on your 2002 Mercedes Benz E430. Another thing to consider is a center driveshaft bearing assembly. It may shift upward in its housing if the rubber bearing mount has failed when shifted into gear. A failed transmission mount could also cause the same thing. The vehicle undercarriage will need to be inspected to determine the cause of the driveline clunk. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and expertise to narrow down the driveline noise source and correct it.