Q: When replacing driveshaft , do I also have to replace the cv axle ? And do I need to replace the Ball joint ?

asked by on February 01, 2018

When replacing driveshaft , do I also have to replace the cv axle ? And do I need to replace the Ball joint as well ?

The driveshafts (aka, "axles") on your vehicle are CV type axles. If a CV axle were replaced (there is one on each side of the car), it is replaced as a unit with both inboard and outboard CV joints already installed. Your vehicle is too new, and has too few miles, to need new CV axles unless there was impact damage or perhaps a CV joint boot was damaged (the boot can be replaced, so long as the CV joint did not get damaged). Ball joint wear and/or replacement is unrelated to the CV axles and on your vehicle the ball joints are not likely to be worn, again based on the low mileage. If you like, you can request a CV axle diagnostic/replacement but the mechanic will first determine whether in fact you need a new axle or axles. The ball joints would be inspected as well. If any repairs are required, they can be performed on a mobile basis, right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.