Q: Light in the trunk doesn’t come on anymore

Whatever little piece of my 2012 Kia Soul that makes the cargo area light turn on whenever the hatch opens is not working. It’s not a problem with the bulb, because the light does turn on sometimes. When it does turn on, it works fine. If I pull the hatch up really quickly, the light will usually not turn on. This car has 3,100 miles on it and it is brand new, so what could the problem be?

The tailgate open switch is part of the tailgate latch on the Kia Soul. Being that you say it works sometimes and other times it does not, I suggest looking at the latch when you open the tailgate to see if the latch opened fully? If you pull out on the latch lock arms and the light comes on, then you have a sticking switch and may be able to just lube the latch with a good dry lube and see if this helps. If it still binds then the latch has to be replaced. You say you have low miles and should be under warranty for replacement. If not a covered part, then a qualified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can replace the trunk latch if needed, at the convenience of your home or office.

3. Light in the trunk doesn’t come on anymore