Q: Engine turns, but won't start

My SUV’s engine turns multiple times, but just won't start. It has that chugging noise as if the cylinders are moving, but it doesn’t want to keep going. This has happened before. That time the reason was a blown-out engine control fuse. So, this time I checked for that again and it looks good. I have jump-started it, checked the fuses that relate to the engine, and reset the fuel pump. What else should I look for and what is your advice that will fix this?

The 5.4L Triton V8’s are notorious for the ignition coils failing. There is a TSB out concerning these coils. The engine uses a coil over plug setup and while you can read out faults to see which coils have cylinders have logged misfires, it may be necessary to replace all of the coils at once. You may want to enlist a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will have the equipment to interrogate the starting faults, and make the necessary repairs to get the engine running back in top form.

3. Q: Engine turns, but won't start