Q: All of a sudden it dies while driving?

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and all of a sudden it dies. It didn't show that it was overheating. I just recently dropped the oil pan and put all new oil. I'm always needing to fill my coolant. I had a little under 1/2 a tank of gas. With all that to say, I had been working under the hood trying to find out why it won't start. It sounded like it wanted to, but just wouldn't turn over. By this time it's been 30 minutes or more and it finally starts. I get home and hook up my codes reader and when I first plug it in, the first time this has happened my codes reader beeps three times twice and says that I have zero codes?!? This leaves me pretty confused considering what just happened. Any chance you could help me understand what's wrong? Please and thank you.

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. This could well ...

Hi, thanks for writing in. This could well be a failure of the fuel pump relay, or the crankshaft position sensor. Both electronic components which can start failing from heat/use, then cool off and work again. Over time, sometime a short time, they fail more and more often and then suddenly there is no recovery. Since the crank position sensor should set a code when it fails, but the fuel pump relay won't generally - check/replace the fuel pump relay first. I would recommend having YourMechanic.com confirm the diagnosis for this issue, provide an accurate assessment of damage, and estimate the cost of repairs. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.