Q: Car is making grinding noise

asked by on February 22, 2017

Car often makes this grinding sounds when running, as if it's still trying to crank. It burned a starter up because it wouldn't turn off. I went to turn it off after hearing the sound, but it only kept trying g to start up. I have replaced the starter but the problem is still there. I also replaced the starter switch on the ignition , bUT this wasn't the problem either. Had flywheel inspected but couldn't find anything wrong with it. The Abs and traction lights come on when this noise starts.I'm beginning to think that it might be something electrical going wrong. PLease help!

Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1090.49 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a faulty starter solenoid that may be dragging a bit too long against the flywheel after the motor fires. This will cause the starter gear to engage the flywheel once the motor is running at a much faster pace than what the starter gear is turning at. The result is a grinding sound causing the starter gear to drag against the flywheel, eventually burning up the starter motor. I would suggest double checking the power to the solenoid to be sure it retracts when the key is moved form the start position back to the run position. If you need further help with this, please reach out to us here at YourMechanic as we are always here to help.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr