Q: My 2008 murano runs smooth, but shuts off after the temperature gauge reaches close to half

asked by on August 04, 2017

My 2006 murano runs smoothly, but shuts off when the temperature gauge is close to the half level. It shuts down and won't start until u allow it cool a bit.

Coolant Temperature Switch (Sensor) Replacement $88.56 - $381.95 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. If the vehicle is not actually overheating, then the coolant temperature sensor may be failing. The car may be prematurely entering into a safety mode meant to keep your engine from destroying itself. Overheating is the top way to ruin the engine, and the car will try to prevent that. Start by making sure the vehicle temperature reading on the dash is accurate. If the sensor is not submerged in fluid, and your fluid is low, you will not get an accurate reading on the dashboard. You can also attempt to scan the vehicle for diagnostic codes, to see if the computer has detected an issue with the temperature sensor as well. Not all codes turn on a warning light, and there may be useful information stored. Without that confirmation, you will want to try swapping out the coolant temperature sensor. For more help, contact our service department.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr