Q: Hey when the car idles it revs up and down by like 300 revs or so and also when the car is off it doesn't recognize its in park.

asked by on February 11, 2017

When I switch off the car (it's push to start) the car doesn't recognize its in park so when I get out the car keeps beeping and I have to disconnect the battery to stop it , what do you think could be the cause of this also with the transmission revving up while idling?

Car is not shifting into park Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The issue is the transmission position sensor is not working properly and registering that the transmission is in drive, neutral, or reverse. Check to see if the transmission is going into park when the shifter is in park. If the transmission is going into park, then the sensor is not working and needs replaced. If the transmission is not going into park, then the shifter cable may be broken or out of adjustment. If you need further assistance with transmission not going into park issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.