Q: How can I stop my engine rattling?

After just 40,000 miles, my 2007 Honda Civic began acting up with loud rattling sounds and vibration coming from the engine. The engine seems to be running alright, but it is making quite a racket doing it! I'm worried that I may have a real problem with this car. I need help solving this issue!

Let me start by saying that there could be one or more issues contributing to a loud rattle and vibration. Diagnosing a vibration and rattle are a hands-on skill to determine the correct repair. There are two areas that should be looked at: the drive belt and the motor mounts. The belt drive should be checked to ensure there are no failing pulleys causing a noise and that the belt tensioner is strong enough to keep tension on the belt. A weak belt tensioner would transmit a vibration and sound into the chassis as the tensioner moves back and forth. The next area to look at are the motor mounts. Your Civic has three motor mounts and one torque mount. The motor mounts are rubber insulators that help reduce motor vibration into the chassis and the torque mount reduces the amount of twist the engine has when stepping on the accelerator pedal. The motor mounts, being made of rubber, will weaken over time due to heat, cold, and engine movement, causing them to collapse, break and tear. When the motor mount is collapsed or broken, it will allow the motor to transmit noise and vibration thru the chassis. It is also possible that your vehicle could simultaneously be experiencing a failing belt tensioner and a partially collapsed motor mount, resulting in amplified sound. To have your vehicle inspected, please contact YourMechanic and one of our technicians will be happy to assist in diagnosing the issue and potentially replacing either the drive belt tensioner or the motor mounts if required.

3. How can I stop my engine rattling?