Q: When I stop and then start to accelerate the car jumps and lunges and doesn't seem to increase speed as it should.

asked by on December 19, 2016

When I accelerate my van jumps or lunges and doesn't seem to accelerate as it should. Also when I'm at a red light or idling the engine and/or transmission seems to shake off and on repeatedly until I take off again.

Hello. Thank you for writing in. Typically vehicles jump and surge due to spark or fuel issues. The computer is designed to keep the engine running within certain ranges, and when the vehicle doesn’t have what it needs, it will try and compensate for it. This is what creates the surging or jerking usually. If spark is the cause, then you will want to turn your attention to the ignition system. Check for proper spark and timing. You can also turn your attention to the fuel system, and test for proper fuel pressure and injector function. Start by checking the spark system and continue diagnosis from there.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr