Q: What would my next step be? Wheel bearings are driving me crazy!!

I bought the car used a while ago with a severe humming noise from the rear passenger side wheel. I had it replaced and the noise disappeared slightly but still evident. Over time it got worse and I had it replaced again as well with a new break caliper and break pads. The noise was slightly better than when I previously fixed it but still evident. Before when I drove over 40 mph it would have a high pitched humming. Now if I drive at 45 mph there's Little Rock no noise but as soon as I speed up the noise slowly gets louder with the speed of the car. I also noticed with my previous wheel bearing that it would over heat. I thought it was the breaks so I replaced them. Now they heat up again. They're hotter than my front wheels. Please help!! My mechanic said he doesn't know what it could be and I'm running out of time, money, and patience with this one.

This is a common sound when wheel bearings are badly worn and need to be replaced. When they wear out, the bearings begin to grind metal on metal which as you know creates an intense heat. This can be dangerous as they may potentially seize up while driving or in extreme cases, they can catch fire.