Q: Engine fail after harmonizer replacement

Had the harmonic balancer replaced on a 2.7L 2006 Tucson Limited, along with the drive belt and tensioner. Three days later wife drove car to work and the engine never started again. Two shops dropped the oil pan and said there were metal shaving everywhere and a new engine is needed. Is there any way replacing these items could have led to the engine fail?

Hi there:

In regards to the drive belt and tensione replacement causing internal engine damage; that’s not probable. In most cases, the replacement of the harmonic balancer is due to misalignment of the component or damage to the housing that attaches to the crankshaft. However, in several instances, damaged may have been done to the crankshaft or other internal components that may have been diagnosed as a faulty harmonic balancer. It’s very difficult to tell unless the engine is disassembled and inspected for damage as to how the damage occurred. If the harmonic balancer was not properly installed; it’s possible that internal damage may have occurred; but that’s very rare.

3. Engine fail after harmonizer replacement