Q: What would cause a loud bang and hard shift into and out of gear in rear end area of Dodge 3500 auto trans.

What would cause a loud bang, very hard shift in the rear end, especially on an incline or in four wheel drive will using truck cause more damage, problem' s to trans., transfer case,rear end.

Hi There, This is usually a case of a bad U-joint that has excess play in it. As the transfer of torque moves from the transmission through the drive line to the rear end, this puts a tremendous amount of power and stress on the U-joints. When there is too much play in these joints, this causes a slight delay in the transfer of that power due to the excess tolerance. This results in the bang and hard shifting you are describing. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your truck.

3. What would cause a loud bang and hard shift into and out of gear in rear end area of Dodge 3500 auto trans.