Q: Car temperature gauge is halfway. I just changed the thermostat. Why isn't it going down?

The only way the gauge will go down is if I have the heat on blast on the floor board

A: Hey there. There are a few other reasons as...

Hey there. There are a few other reasons aside from the thermostat that may cause the car to overheat such as a clogged radiator or potentially a faulty coolant fan switch. A clogged radiator may prevent the coolant from flowing in and out of the motor if the passages are blocked. A coolant fan switch monitors the temperature of the coolant and engages the cooling fans to turn on and off depending on the temperature of the coolant. When this is not working properly, the fans may come on all the time, intermittently. or sometimes not at all. If you would like to have this scoped out before making a repair, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to diagnose the car and advise you on any needed repairs.