Q: Engine light & engine power reduced

asked by on March 03, 2017

The engine light illuminates on the dash and then the warning "engine power reduced" comes across the dash. The car hesitates when accelerating then has almost no power followed by a burst of power and back to no power.

Reduced Power light is on Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle’s warning light needs to be scanned so we can figure out what component may be causing the issue. Use the codes available to direct you to a probable component. If your codes are limited, or do not reveal any good diagnostic information, then you will want to look to checking the air, fuel, and spark systems. A loss of power that is sudden can be a failed sensor, a clog in the air or fuel systems, a failing ignition coil, or similar issue. You can check for spark, test fuel pressure, and examine the air intake system to help. Clean the mass airflow sensor, air filter, throttle body, change the fuel filter, and the spark plugs to improve performance. These are all general maintenance procedures that may need to be done after time anyway. For more diagnostic help, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.