Q: The car shakes and randomly cuts off while driving. The car has steam/smoke coming from under hood.

I have a Cadillac dts, year 2006. the car drives smooth when it Is driving, however it randomly cuts off if im sitting at a stop light and sometimes while driving. the car has also recently started having steam coming from under the hood and gives off a smell of burning fluid when the air is on. The check engine light code says that the secondary air pump sensor has failed. Please help!

Hi and thanks for contacting Your Mechanic. If your engine light came on for the secondary air pump sensor, then it is possible that the secondary air pump (smog pump) has failed. The pump has oil in it and if the pump seized up, the case may have broke and leaked out the oil or burned the oil causing the smoke. Also, there could be a coolant leak causing the smoke under the hood. If the pump is not working, then I suggest replacing the air pump. If you need further assistance with the engine having a lack of power, shaking, and crating smoke under the hood, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you solve this issue.

• The car shakes and randomly cuts off while driving. The car has steam/smoke coming from under hood.