Q: While I'm driving, my vehicle makes a hissing noise when it shifts, it will go away sometimes.

While driving, my vehicle makes a hissing noise when it shifts, the noise goes away sometimes.

A: Hello. If the noise occurs right before the...

Hello. If the noise occurs right before the transmission shifts, then it can be caused by a few things. Depending on how it sounds, it can be a loose belt that is slipping when the vehicle is getting ready to shift. If the belt is tight, then the noise may be coming from the transmission itself. It may be low fluid or it can be a bad thrust bearing in the transmission. I have also seen clogged vents on transmissions cause this. Most of the time though it is a bad internal bearing. This is something that you should have a transmission specialist check out.