Q: car does not start

My battery is dead so the car does not start, i had a professional come out and say that the battery is still good. What seems to be the problem for me is that the key lock on the passenger side is broken and does not work and the car thinks the door is open. How do I go about fixing this? The inside of the door must be opened I assume and something must be fixed. What advice can you give me?

If the door is not latching, there is a switch in the door pillar that may remain in the closed position thus keeping the interior lights on all the time. If that is the issue that is causing the battery to discharge (and then make it impossible to start the car), you have two options: 1) a mechanic can alter the switch contacts to ensure the lights are always off; or 2) the door latch mechanism can be repaired. The second option is better, of course, because it is always good to have the interior lights function but option No. 1 "may" be less costly. It just depends on what has gone wrong with the latch, whether new parts are required to fix the latch and so forth. Certainly, option No. 1 can be implemented as a temporary measure so that you stop discharging the battery. In any event, to obtain a resolution of this, if you desire you can request a door latch diagnostic and when the mechanic arrives you can jointly arrive at a desired solution depending on exactly what the mechanic finds on inspection. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.