Q: What motor / transmission do I have?

asked by on October 08, 2016

I have a 2009, 5.3 vortex, E85 capable, 1500 4x4 Silverado LT. I would like to know what series of motor came in that truck that year along with transmission if possible. Is it the lmg? L76? Lmf? Thank you.

Hi and thanks for your question. Your 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 could have the the LMG series 5.3L vortec engine or the LMF series 5.3L vortec engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM). The difference is that the LMF series increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent more. The Chevrolet L76 engine is a 6.0L engine that delivers power for the heavier vehicles. The 8th character in the VIN number will let you know which engine you have. The LMG will have a 0 for the 8th digit and the LMF will have a 3 for the 8th digit on the vin. 2008 and older vehicles have 4-speed transmissions. 2009 and newer vehicles have the 6-speed transmission.

If you have a shift up and down shifting button on the column of your vehicle, then you have a 6-speed transmission. If you do not have a shift up an down shifting button on the column, then you have the 4-speed transmission. Another way to check is to drive your vehicle. Monitor the tachometer to see how many times it moves during operation. If it moves 4 times only then you have a 4-speed transmission with lockup. If it moves 6 times then you have a 6-speed transmission with lockup.

If you need assistance in determining what your engine or transmission is, you could contact a professional, such as a YourMechanic technician, to assist you with your vehicle.