Q: what method of ignition trigger does the crankshaft position sensor use?

What sort of sensor(s) does it use to trigger the ignition? Variable reluctor (magnetic pickup)? Optical? or Hall effect?

Mercedes uses two magnetic pickups on the crankshaft. They are mounted on the bell housing. One reads the teeth on the ring gear for crankshaft speed and one reads a pin on the flywheel. There is also a magnetic pickup on each camshaft to sense camshaft position.

3. what method of ignition trigger does the crankshaft position sensor use?