Q: both lowbeams don't work but both high beams and blinker are perfectly bright

asked by on October 08, 2017

So I just bought a used 1997 honda cr-v. I tested everything before I bought it, but it was in daylight so I didn't know until nighttime that 1) the dashboard lights don't work and 2) the headlights don't work. Both headlights are out and the high beans work, as do the blinkers etc. Back lights have no problems. The interior lights (like the overhead ones) work, and gear indicator lights, warning lights (no seatbelt, airbag, check engine, etc). But the speedometer and all that is completely dark, so pretty much I can't see how fast I'm going or where I'm going at night. The car is also a salvage title that got T-boned just behind the drivers' seat but didn't flip, if that helps at all?

If the bulb filaments are intact and the terminal contact is good, you should check for power to the terminals of the bulb socket. If there is no power, it is a simple matter of tracing the circuit back to the power source (the battery) to find the interruption which could be due to problem with a circuit relay, fuse, ground connection, combination switch fault and so forth. The same procedure is used to repair the dash lights. Dash light bulbs do eventually fail and to replace them the instrument cluster has to be removed. To fix these two issues, a mechanic would simply trace the circuits, using the wiring diagram in the Factory Service Manual. If you want those steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request an electrical circuit/component diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.