Q: What may be the cause of a gear to lock?

The gear was on reverse when I brake then try to put the gear on drive it doesn't want to move.i switched of the engine wen I try to start again it refused to start the gear it's locked on reverse mode. Wen I switch on the key stil it's doesn't move and the brake it's hard .it doesn't show the green sign that indicates that u can apply brakes on the screen. What may be the problem for gear not to move. Am driving 1.6l jetta 5 2006model tiptronic

Vehicles with automatic transmissions are equipped with a shifter inter-lock. These prevent the vehicle being shifted to and from any gear unless the brake pedal is depressed. The shift inter-lock system relies on the correct signal from the brake light switch to determine if the brake pedal is pressed. If the brake light switch is bad, it will not signal the inter-lock to release. The inter-lock itself can be preventing the shifter from moving if it is loose or damaged. Also, the shifter mechanism may be out of adjustment or can have an electrical short.

Have a certified technician look into the shift inter-lock mechanism to locate the exact cause.