Q: What does a vehicle speed sensor look like?

What are the signs if that's what's wrong with my car? It hasn't been shifting between 1st and 2nd gear lately&when it's stalling before it shifts the speedometer doesn't move,but as soon as it shifts everything appears normal again. However the last 2 days my car didn't want to start. It was turning over but sounded like it was drained somewhat&I jz got the battery last yr. That may be another issue idk. But I'm very concerned about my transmission. I'm a minister who does outreach with the veterans,homeless,abused/neglected children&so forth&I am on a very limited income. I've already put more money into that car than I paid for it,but can't afford another one. Thank you for all of your advice&or suggestions. May God bless you.

A: There may be a couple of things going on at...

There may be a couple of things going on at the same time here. Is the Check Engine Light on? A vehicle speed sensor problem may illuminate the Check Engine Light if the lack of signal is causing shifting errors. A vehicle speed sensor can be a 2 or 3 wires sensor and is usually mounted near a rotating object like a wheel bearing or on the extension housing of the transmission. A technician with the proper equipment can hook up to the car and observe the data being offered to the engine control computer and determine where the issues are. A lack of signal may cause shifting errors if the vehicle depends on speed to determine when to shift. A no start may come from loss of fuel pressure from a failed fuel pump or no spark due to lack of maintenance of spark plugs or the engine control computer failing to send spark. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out and asses the problem to offer a more personal diagnosis.