Q: What Are Some Common Signs Your Drive Belt Is Misaligned?

What are some common signs your drive belt is misaligned?

If your accessory drive belt is misaligned, you may notice one or more of several tell-tale signs.

First, you may hear your belt make a squealing noise when the engine is running. As the engine speed increases, the squealing will get louder. Misaligned belts and loose belts are known for this.

Second, you may notice that the belt is wearing unevenly and prematurely. You may even notice chunks missing from the grooved side of the belt.

Third, you may notice that all of your engine accessories (A/C, power steering, water pump, generator) aren’t working. This is caused by a belt that has broken or one that has come off of the pulleys.

None of these signs are good. If you are noticing any of these symptoms, you will want to get in touch with a professional mechanic before you continue to drive much further. They’ll check out the belt or belts and their drive systems and replace the belt if necessary.

3. What Are Some Common Signs Your Drive Belt Is Misaligned?