Q: After fuel pump replacment, car uses more gasoline

asked by on August 17, 2016

My car has 25,000 miles and the fuel pump went out, so I had it replaced. Now the car seems to be using more gas than it did before the replacement. To explain: the dots on the fuel gauge move down quickly, but the gauge itself still indicates that the car is getting 25-26 mpg. It just isn’t making sense. I have driven my car for several years and I am always aware of how much gasoline that my car uses and recently it is literally drinking it. Before I call the service center, can you tell me if this sounds like this might be a problem resulting from the fuel pump replacement?

There is always a chance of something going wrong with a repair, but let’s not start there. There may be a new concern, such as a vacuum leak or a sensor causing false readings. Since there was a recent repair, start the diagnosis by double checking the work, and if there are no faults found, the next step would be to check the engine seals and electronics. If you would like this checked for you, a local expert from YourMechanic can come to you to inspect the perceived decrease in mileage in order to have this resolved.