Q: I have a p0410 code yet my air pump does operate however the flow doesn't seem to be very strong?

asked by on April 15, 2017

I have a p0410 code but my air pump operates but with little suction and return flow. How much volume of air should the pump produce? Is there a filter in the pump that could be dirty?

There is probably a filter in the pump and yes the filter could block flow. However, before you consider a plugged filter, inspect the check valves; they will commonly get plugged up or stuck. The pump flow is minimal and pressure is low, but I do not have a c.f.m. rating for you. If the filter is not blocked and the check valves are new, you can assume plump flow is normal unless the pump bearings are noisy. The pump is just one piece of the puzzle in regard to the Code that has set. P0410 can set if if the O2 sensors are responding too slowly to the increase in O2 in the exhaust, the catalyst could be partly clogged increasing back pressure in the exhaust and the air injection pump may not be operating on the required duty cycle because the air injection pump relay contacts are bad. Check the check valves as that is a common problem area. If this does not get resolved, please feel free to request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you. .