I was driving home from work when the temp gage dropped to below the c and the hold light started flashing. Am I able to drive it home?
My car has 94086 miles.
My car has an automatic transmission.
Hi there. The coolant temperature sending unit is malfunctioning and sending the vehicle the wrong information or the gauge on the dash has failed. The sending unit could have burned inside causing the computer to think that the engine is overheating. Also, the sending unit could have failed making the gauge read cold only and not register. The gauge in the dash could have failed causing the meter to register cold all the time. To see if your engine is overheating or not, open you hood and feel the upper radiator hose. If the hose is very hard and very hot to the touch, then the engine may be overheating and the gauge is malfunctioning. If the upper radiator hose can be squeezed a little and it not that hot, but has some heat to it, then the engine is operating normally and the temperature sending unit (sensor) has failed. If you hear any gurgling sound, then the engine is overheating to the point that its boiling the coolant. If there is no sound, then the engine is not boiling the coolant. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you with your coolant sending unit and indicator lights.
Our certified mechanics come to you ・Backed by 12-month, 12,000-mile guarantee・Fair and transparent pricing