Q: Vehicle is slow to crank

I've never had any problems starting my truck, until today. I noticed that my vehicle driving mileage has zeroed out whenever I turn the key to the on position. The radio is on, but it seems as though the battery has become disconnected while the vehicle has been off. It is then slow to crank and turn over. Could it be my battery cables? The starter and alternator are 2 years old, as is the battery.

A: Hello. The symptoms you describe can be cau...

Hello. The symptoms you describe can be caused by a few different things. A few common causes are blown fuses, poor battery connection, or a bad battery. The odometer appears to be continuously resetting then it may be possible that the fuse for the cluster or odometer has burned out. The fuse for the cluster will be located in the interior fuse box of the vehicle.

It may also be possible that the issue is related to the battery, especially if the engine is cranking slowly. I would carefully examine the battery cables for any signs of corrosion, wear, or damage.

If there is any issues with the cables, they may prevent power from properly flowing. It may also be possible that the battery itself is faulty and is causing the issues. Even if the battery is only 2 years old it can still go bad, causing the slow cranking and in some cases other electrical issues. Slow cranking can also be caused by a faulty starter, or other electrical issues, and it may even be an issue completely separate from the resetting odometer issue. I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose the hard start in person so that this can be repaired accordingly.