Q: Car will turn left but not right. I was told by a shade tree mechanic it can be welded back to the frame is this true?

I need my car asap. Can the pinion be welded back to the frame

Hi there:

If the steering rack has broken off the mount, the mount would have to be welded and repaired first. The pinion gear is a part of the steering system that turns as the steering column sends input to the power steering system. If the pinion has broken, it needs to be replaced, not welded back together. That is what would be called a "shadetree" repair. Would it work? Possibly; but it would be very dangerous. Before you have somebody try to weld a part that doesn’t require it, you might want to have a professional mobile mechanic inspect your steering system to see what repairs need to be completed so you can save time, money and resources.

3. Car will turn left but not right. I was told by a shade tree mechanic it can be welded back to the frame is this true?