Q: Loud bang from front wheel and the wheel locks up in reverse. It didn't show signs of a bad cv shaft. binding or hub bearing?

asked by on April 06, 2017

I hit a pothole last night and the car is making loud noises from the driver side front wheel. The cv axle still drives forward but binds up in reverse. I can put it in neutral and roll it freely. Please don't tell me it's a transmission problem. While driving it made loud banging noises when I hit bumps in the road. But drove just fine until I went into reverse.

Hitting a pothole can damage wheel bearings. Basically, the force of the impact causes the ball bearings to get driven into the bearing race and cause indentations in the race. Then the bearing eventually becomes noisy. You could have damaged the bearing but the other noises (loud banging, as you describe it) and the binding of the axle may indicate other or additional damage. The only way to identify the damage, and determine the cause of the axle binding, is to inspect what you have. If you request a suspension inspection a certified mechanic will inspect the car and estimate the required repairs. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.