Q: Gear selector cable/linkage loose, car will not start

My Son has 2008 Saturn Aura with 3.5 V6. Car was running fine. He went to back out of parking space and the gear shift select would not engage any gear and was loose and would slide back and forth between the gears without depressing the button on the gear shift. He put the car in park and and turned it off. The car will not start now and when you turn the key to the on position the shift will slide in between gears without locking. Park is the only place it will lock and the car will now start. ANy suggestion?

Thank you!

A: Hi there - based on your description, I bel...

Hi there - based on your description, I believe part of the gear selector cable/linkage is no longer anchored or connected. Besides the "free movement" of the shifter as you describe, it is also not registering properly with the neutral safety switch - which prevents engine start. I would recommend having a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic examine your Saturns shifter mechanism. S/he will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.