Q: ECU Compatibility

My RAV4 contains a damaged ECU with the reference 89661-42D70 , but I didn't find another one with the same reference, some sites specialist in toyota parts like toyodiy.com says that I can use another one compatible with my car with different reference 89661-42D40 ( the difference is in the last two chiffres ) , can I do that ?

The part number for the 3.5L 6-cylinder engine is 8966142G02 and the number for the 4-cylinder engine is 8966142F72. As long as the ECU you’re getting matches or cross references the appropriate part number, there shouldn’t be a problem. However, you can’t simply plug the new ECU in and go. It must be programmed with an OEM capable scan tool in order to operate properly. A professional, with the proper equipment can both install the proper ECU and program it for you. It might also be a good idea to get the vehicle diagnosed by an expert to confirm the ECU is the problem.

3. ECU Compatibility