Q: Shuts off and won't start for about an hour or so

asked by on October 28, 2016

New fuel pump new ECM car shuts off going down the road after driving about 30 minutes will not crank for an hour or so. Sometimes when you shut it off at a store it will not crank for an hour or so after being drove. Not sure what else to check. Any help will be grateful

Hi there. From the description you have provided concerning your vehicle’s drivability problem, it hard to discern whether it does not turn over, or it does not start for about an hour after driving. If your vehicle will not turnover (crank), it could be the starter becoming faulty when hot.

If your vehicle will not start, it could be a problem with the new fuel pump installation or the new pump itself. Delphi replacement fuel pumps have recently had high failure rates.

It could be also be any number of electrical components failing with increased temperature (i.e. a fuel pump relay, ECM (engine control module) relay, crankshaft position sensor, etc.)

Assuming, the Check Engine Light is not coming on. This leads me to believe the ECM is not recognizing the fault. If you need more help having this taken care of, I recommend having your vehicle’s starting issue diagnosed in person so that you can get your car safely back on the road.