Q: Control arm bushings going bad

asked by on February 26, 2016

The vehicle is clunky when driving over uneven roads at low speeds. I can also hear a grinding/squeaking sound from the front driver's side wheel well when applying the brakes. I was told that the control arm bushings on the front driver's side were going bad.

Bad control arm bushings will cause the issues you have described except for the grinding noise. The grinding noise is most likely the brake pads grinding the rotor surface. Look at the rotors and see if there are deep grooves on the surface. If so, the pads and rotors will need to be replaced. I recommend having a qualified technician diagnose the vehicle and perform these repairs. Make sure to have the vehicle re-aligned when the bushings are replaced to ensure the steering and handling is proper.