Q: Stalling at cold start, replaced idle air control valve 1990 Chevy P30 6.2 l diesel

My 1990 Chevy P30 Step-van (chassis - it's really a Blue Bird Mini Bird school bus) is stalling when the engine is cold. I have to rev the engine till it's warm enough before it won't stall. I've asked on here before as well as my mechanic in the shop and all signs pointed to a faulty or dirty idle air control valve. I ordered a new one and we replaced it, but the engine is still stalling. I double checked the IACV to make sure the wires were plugged in well and didn't rattle off or anything and they were fine, but it is still stalling at a cold start. I have a diesel 6.2 engine.

Hi - there are a few other component problems that could be causing your poor cold starting. One or more failed glow plugs and air leaks in the air intake will cause poor cold-start and cold-running behavior. I would recommend a hard starting (cold) inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.