Q: How do I turn off the passenger airbag sensor when using a child restraint?

How do I turn off the passenger airbag sensor when using a child restraint?

If possible, children in child restraints should be seated in the rear seats. However, a child restraint system can be used in the front seat as long as the airbag is turned off. The passenger airbag sensor should not detect a child restraint system, so the airbag should be turned off. If, however, the passenger airbag sensor on the overhead console says that the airbag is on, here’s what to do: 1. Turn off your car. 2. Remove the child restraint system from the vehicle. 3. Remove anything else that is sitting on the passenger seat. 4. Reinstall the child restraint system in the passenger seat. Be careful to follow the instructions provided with the restraint system. 5. Turn on the vehicle. If the passenger airbag sensor says the airbag is still on, do the following: 1. Turn off the vehicle. 2. Recline the passenger seat and adjust the tilt of the seat, so that the child restraint is not digging into the seat bottom. 3. Check to make sure that the child restraint system is not stuck until the vehicle head restraint. 4. Turn on the vehicle. If the passenger airbag sensor says the airbag is still on, do not drive the vehicle.

3. How do I turn off the passenger airbag sensor when using a child restraint?