Q: Vacuum hose to the charcoal cannister has broken

Hi I have an au falcon and the vacuum hose has come off the charcoal canister and I can't put it back on coz the piece where it attaches has snapped and is still stuck in the hose. Do I need to replace the whole charcoal canister or can I replace just the piece where the hose fits too

A: Hello. If you have broken the vacuum port o...

Hello. If you have broken the vacuum port off of the charcoal canister, then it may have to be replaced. In some instances, the broken piece can be reattached. However, it will only function properly is a vacuum tight seal is achieved. The charcoal canister stores fuel vapors, so any sort of leaks, even tiny ones, will compromise its operation. The broken piece should be easily removable by cutting the hose it is stuck in. I would check to see if the piece can be reattached somehow, perhaps with a strong putty or contact cement, and replace it if it cannot. If you would like an expert to examine this, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the system and advise you on a repair.