Q: Serpentine belt shredded after I replaced it and the tensioner (both new).

I got a new tensioner and belt and put them on. I started the engine let run for 15 seconds turn it off. I noticed that It was making the same squeaking noise as before, i checked it again and the tensioner was loose, so I tightened it up started the engine. It was still squeaking, I drove around the block,while driving I was smelling it shred. I parked it cause I don't know what else could be wrong with it. I was wondering if you could help me out? Thanks,Corey

My car has 188781miles.

Hi Corey:

Believe it or not, this issue happens more frequently than you might believe. In most cases, it’s caused by the tensioner pulley being slightly misaligned. When you replace the serpentine belt, it’s important to align the pulley with the right tools; such as a serpentine belt removal tool and pulley alignment wrench. If you’d like a professional mechanic to complete this service for you; contact us and we’ll get you set up for a serpentine belt replacement job where our mobile mechanic will come to you.

3. Serpentine belt shredded after I replaced it and the tensioner (both new).