Q: Hello. I accidentally left my 2 liter 1987 mercedes 190E car key on the accessory position in my garage and I will return in a few

asked by on March 19, 2017

Hello. I accidentally left the car key of my 2 liter 1987 mercedes 190E (European specs) in the accessory position in my garage and I will return in a few days. Is the battery expected to be drained? Provided that everything (lights, stereo, etc) is turned off. I know newer cars might experience such drain, but a 30 year-old merc isn't that sophisticated, I hope. thnx

Hello, thank you for writing in. The vehicle’s battery will likely be dead. Even if the vehicle has less electronic components sucking battery power, there are some. Even when the vehicle is off and sits, the clock can drain the battery over enough time. You should not have any other major issues however, and there should not be any immediate cause for concern. The fuel pump pressurizes when in the "On" position, so there may be extra strain being put on the fuel system, but again, there should not be any true consequences to the fuel pump. If it takes a few turns to get the pump to turn on, do not be surprised. Once you return. Turn the vehicle off for a few minutes and give the electronics that may still be active time to power down and rest for a moment. Then be ready to jump start the battery. For more help if other issues do arise, contact our service department.